Winter is a lovely time for getting together with family and friends. This recipe is a great one for a dinner party, pot luck or for the vegetarian guests at the big holiday dinner. And best of all, any leftovers are delicious cold and make a delicious and satisfying lunch. The loaf mix and sauce can be prepared the day in advance and stored separately in the fridge, and then assembled prior to cooking when required.
Winter Lentil Loaf with Cranberry Orange Sauce
This recipe is a great one for a dinner party, pot luck or for the vegetarian guests at the big holiday dinner.
Write a review
- 1 tsp Coconut oil
- 1 medium Onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 carrots, shredded
- ½ tsp dried sage
- 1 tsp thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ cup red lentils, soaked and rinsed
- ½ cup green/puy lentils, soaked and rinsed
- 2 ½ cups water
- ½ cup oat bran
- ¾ cup porridge oats
- salt and pepper, optional and to taste
Cranberry Orange Sauce
- 2 cups cranberries, frozen or fresh
- ½ cup orange juice
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ½ tbsp. ginger syrup (from a jar of preserved ginger)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil and fry the onion and celery. Add in carrots, sage, thyme, red lentils, green lentils and water. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer for 35 minutes or until lentils are soft.
- While the lentils are cooking, combine cranberries, orange juice, balsamic vinegar and maple syrup. Simmer for 10-15 minutes or until thick.
- Once lentils are cooked mix in ground oats and oats. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Press into a loaf pan and pour cranberry sauce on top.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Let the loaf sit for a few minutes before cutting into it to prevent crumbling.
Manna Organic Store https://mannaorganicstore.ie/