This is one of my favourite recipes for a lazy Sunday morning breakfast. Its quick and easy, but really filling. And the leftovers are delicious eaten cold for lunch the next day.
5 large organic eggs
2-3 tbsp olive oil for frying
1 small red onion, peeled and chopped
2-3 scallions, washed trimmed and chopped into bite size pieces
50-75g sundried tomatoes, chopped to bite size
1 small head of broccoli, chopped into florets
75g / 2 handfuls of grated hard cheese, Goat or Cheddar, optional
1/6 tsp Black Pepper, fresh ground
1/6 tsp Sea or Rock Salt
- Crack the eggs into a mixing bowl with a pinch of salt and black pepper. Beat well with a fork.
- Heat half of the oil in a medium/large frying pan on a low heat.
- Fry the onions and broccoli in the pan until the onions are transparent and the broccoli is vivid green. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Add the onion and broccoli to the eggs. Add the tomatoes and mix well to coat.
- Wipe the pan clean and add the rest of the oil. Heat gently.
- Pour the egg and veg mix into the pan, spreading the veg evenly throughout the pan.
- When the omelette begins to cook and firm up, but still has a little raw egg on top, remove from the heat and put under the grill to cook until the top has firmed. Sprinkle on the cheese: put the pan back under the grill until the cheese has melted.
- Using a spatula, ease around the edges of the omelette to remove.
- Serve with toasted sourdough bread and/or a green salad.